Through the duties of on a regular basis life, we will get so busy that it may be tough to take the vitality and time to pause and mirror.
For that reason, I’m a giant fan of any train that helps us to step again and take into consideration adjustments we would make to change into happier, more healthy, extra productive, or extra artistic.
Usually, that catalyst is a date, akin to January 1—if you need extra concepts of dates to make use of, check out the Calendar of Catalysts.
Questioners could protest that the date of January 1 is unfair, but it surely does mark a milestone in time, and is a cultural second that reminds us to suppose huge and broad.
On the Happier with Gretchen Rubin podcast, we talk about totally different approaches to creating change. For 2023, we’ve talked about becoming a member of the yearly problem (#Outside23in23), figuring out a one-word theme for 2023, and making a “23 for 2023” record.
Analysis reveals that once we set particular goals for ourselves, no shock, we’re extra more likely to obtain them. So taking the time to make this record could make a giant distinction to our happiness.
Over time, we’ve seen the artistic ways in which folks strategy these lists.
make your 23 for 2023 record:
- Use the quantity 23 in a artistic method, akin to “Attempt 23 new recipes” or as Elizabeth notes, “Learn 23 novels”
- Divide the record into classes, akin to “Household,” “Profession,” “Journey” “Enjoyable”
- Construct your complete record round a single vital goal, akin to “Transfer” or “Change careers”
- Construct your complete record your one-word theme—as an illustration, “Earn” or “Fewer”
- It’s useful to be concrete, and body objects as actions, not outcomes—not “Study Italian” however “Memorize 5 new phrases daily” or “Use Duolingo daily”
- Take into account whether or not you’re an Upholder, Questioner, Obliger, or Insurgent—take the free “4 Tendencies” character quiz
- Create a compelling visible show of your record
- Assessment your record continuously—I goal to evaluate my record on the twenty third of each month
- Take into account making an inventory of solely satisfying objects! Particularly you Obligers!
- Share an inventory with another person, to work on goals collectively
- Take note of vocabulary—the identical exercise could be rather more interesting, or not, relying on how we body it, the vocabulary we use.
Don’t fear about whether or not you’ll have the ability to cross off all 23 objects. Neither Elizabeth nor I has ever managed to finish a whole record! However making this record assist us to be happier.
Need to make record of your “23 for 2023?” Obtain the free PDF right here. We like to see folks’s lists—it’s fascinating to see what folks do with their record—so for those who’re so inclined, submit it to #23for23 on social media. We will all be taught from one another.
Elizabeth’s 23 for 2023 record:
One-word theme is SCALE.
- Hike Fryman Canyon 50 instances—she’s going to trace within the Happier™ app
- Floss each evening
- Get again in her wedding ceremony rings
- Hike in Ojai with Sarah
- Make a journey with pals from highschool
- Get the proper small cross-body bag
- Use her packing cubes
- Learn 23 novels (this contains audiobooks)
- Through the potential writers’ strike, define a novel
- Attempt pickleball
- Get her mah jong group going once more
- All the time carry Kleenex
- Get two physique scans
- Stroll to Malibu
- End her will with Adam
- Go outdoors 23 minutes a day—after all!
- Host a household occasion
- Construct up Daisy’s and Nacho’s stamina to allow them to go on hikes
- Improve her house workplace
- Throw out gross t-shirts—each laborious and straightforward to do
- Get a brand new gown
- Go away for an evening with pals
- Do Season Three of Fantasy Island—an final result, however she’s going to manifest it
Gretchen’s 23 for 2023 record:
One-word theme is WAVE.
- Go to the Met daily
- Go outdoors 23 in 23
- Compensate for my picture albums
- 30 straight days of tradition
- Deal with one tough e mail per day
- Make standing haircut appointments
- Purchase new underwear
- Have a summer season of re-reading
- Be extra systematic about connecting with pals and colleagues
- Purchase airplane denims
- Assist Eleanor get a driver’s license and Elizabeth to make a will
- Work out the route for my subsequent writing mission
- Take pleasure in 23 seconds of sensory delight every day
- Put on make-up daily
- Work on my Muse Machine
- Create a time capsule for 2023—we talked about this concept in episode 401
- Ask folks for the names of journalists who may be concerned about my guide Life in 5 Senses
- Begin a brand new group
- As soon as a month, decide a New York Metropolis place I’ve by no means visited, and go there
- Embrace this yr of household transition
- Assessment this record on the twenty third of every month
- Add a “My Thirty Minutes” to my calendar every workday (and determine a catchy title for this time)
- Watch an ideal TV present
Elizabeth and I’ve made these lists for a number of years, and every year, we’re so completely happy we did it. It’s a really clarifying and artistic train.
Additionally, it’s a enjoyable train to do with different folks. Elizabeth and I’ve a good time speaking about our lists collectively; sharing lists is a good way to spark dialog about pursuits, values, and goals. Attempt doing it with pals, household, or co-workers. Chances are you’ll discover objects that you just’d wish to deal with collectively.
Have you ever discovered any contemporary methods to articulate and work in the direction of your goals? Making a New Yr’s decision isn’t the one method!